email: email@example.com | portfolio: laurenstearns.com | phone: 215.262.0567
My professional career has always centered around positive interactions with people. Whether I am facilitating an event or creating a user friendly design my ultimate goal is to make people happy.
HTML & CSS
Associate User Interface Engineer, McLean VA | August 2017 - April 2018
- Create UI designs for applications (external and internal customers)
- Implement strict style guide refinements
- Consult and implement UX best practices for existing products
- Collaborate with UX team to produce consistent deliverables
- Create user flows for new product design
- Experience on both agile and waterfall project teams
UX Designer, Herndon VA | July 2016 - August 2017
- Collaborate daily with visual designers and product managers to develop engaging mobile and desktop products. The team operates in an Agile workflow and supports iterative and user centric design.
- My deliverables include competitive analysis, usability test plans, findings reports, and wireframes (lo/hi-fi).
USA Today Network/Gannett Co.
Associate UX Architect , McLean, VA | June 2015- July 2016
- Created UX deliverables for a variety of platforms including Amazon Echo, virtual reality, video assets and subscription forms on USA Today and the USA Today network (local papers) websites.
- Finalist in the 2015 Gannett Innovation lab where our team pitched a new music app that had an anticipated launch in Nashville, TN.
Design/Marketing Intern, Silver Spring, MD | January 2015 – May 2015
- Worked on a selected team comprised of seven JMU students.
- Created marketing collatoral for the Discovery Family channel.
Office of Admissions (JMU)
Graphic Design Student Assistant, Harrisonburg, VA | August 2014 – May 2015
- Volunteered to work admissions’ open houses and accepted students days throughout the year. Led informal information tables as well as formal presentations in the admissions office.
- Created and updated marketing materials for open houses, tours, and presentations.
- Projects consisted of event signage, logo design, brochures, tour manuals, keynotes and apparel.
Digital Communication Consulting Center (JMU)
Media Fellow (Tutor), Harrisonburg, VA | August 2014 – May 2015
- Led e-Portfolio workshops and presentations in the College of Education.
- Assisted students as a tutor in the classroom and during consultation hours. As a tutor, I collaborated with a small team to promote and enhance the center’s goals and services.
University Program Board (JMU)
Ad & Design Chair and Director of Special Events, Harrisonburg, VA | Chair: August 2014- May 2015/ Director: April 2013- May 2014
Director of Special Events
- Led weekly committee meetings and produced two on-campus events each month. My responsibilities included developing contracts for hired entertainment professionals and facilitating the event planning process from brainstorming to implementation.
Ad & Design Chair
- Created print, web and social media designs for large venue concerts on campus. I worked with managers and artist representatives of Big Sean, X Ambassadors, MAGIC!, The Mowgli’s and Grizfolk.
Square 2 Marketing
Graphic Design Intern, Warrington, PA | June 2013- August 2013 & May 2014- August 2014
- Developed website designs, infographics, and brochures. I assisted with Hubspot software in website production and participated in marketing strategy meetings.
James Madison University (JMU)
Harrisonburg, VA | May 2015
School of Media Arts and Design
Major: B.S. in Converged Media
Minor: Art (Graphic Design)
Cumulative GPA: 3.60
Deans List: 2012-2015
Washington, D.C. | September 2015 – December 2015
10-week part time user experience (UX) classes. The course included 48 hours of instruction covering the fundamentals of user experience design, user research